Low Self-Esteem And Healthy Self-Esteem
What is Low Self-Esteem?
People with low self-esteem often feel unlovable, not good enough or that they are not enough, lacking confidence and feel badly about themselves, awkward, or incompetent.
Characteristics of genuinely low self-Esteem:
- Social withdrawal
- Lack of social skills and self-confidence
- Eating disorders
- An inability to see be fair to yourself
- Exaggerated concern over what you imagine people to think
- Treating yourself badly
- Reluctance to take on challenges
- Reluctance to trust your own opinion
- People pleasing at your own expense
- Anxiety and emotional turmoil
- Less social conformity
- Inability to accept compliments
- Accentuating the negative
- Worrying whether you have treated others badly
- Reluctance to put yourself first or anywhere
- Expecting little out of life for yourself
- Uncomfortable communicating important wants and needs
What is Healthy Self-esteem?
Self-esteem is shaped by your thoughts, relationships and experiences.
Here are some clear signs of a healthy self-esteem:
- Loving yourself as a whole person and knowing your uniqueness allows you to be yourself
- Being authentic: living without pretending. Staying true to yourself and to what you believe in to be right
- Not worrying excessively about what others think
- Feeling good about yourself and see yourself as deserving the respect of others
- Taking care of yourself and looking after your own needs rather than pleasing others
- Having healthy boundaries with other people, and treating yourself with dignity and respect
- Being assertive and speaking up for yourself. Daring to say no to things you don’t want to do
- Focusing on your life without the need to compare yourself to others
- Being able to acknowledge and celebrate other people’s achievements
- Being okay with spending time alone
- Taking responsibility for the way you feel and for your actions, instead of blaming other people or your circumstances
- Being open to change what you don’t like in your life and what is changeable
- Believing that you are loveable and you deserve the best things life has to offer
Healthy self-esteem can be created and become a part of your newer, better and updated programming, even if it seems unfamiliar!
Are you ready to make a change?
You are very welcome to get in touch, for any enquiries or questions you may have, or to schedule an appointment.